The surgical procedure of laser eye surgery is considered as one of the latest and highly effective eye corrective measures in the medical field today. However, not everyone can take advantage of this medical breakthrough. Only those who are fit can undergo through this procedure.
Here are some things to be considered before deciding to take the surgery:
• There are employers who prohibit their employees to go through this type of surgical procedure or any vision enhancement surgeries. Similarly, there are also fields that require 20/20 vision and their employees should have not gone through the surgical process such as aircraft pilots and police force.
• The procedure of laser eye surgery comes with risks and potential complications. You should be ready for these risks and should know how to avoid them. Take note that even this eye treatment which is considered to be very safe still has its share of complications. Talk to your doctor about it to ensure that you are fully aware of what you will go through.
• LASIK and other eye surgery procedure can be costly. Thus, discuss with your doctors of the estimated amount of the procedure and check with your insurance company if the procedure would be covered. Ask your doctors if they know of a financial scheme or discounts that could minimize your expenses.
• Laser eye surgery would not be conducted on individuals who were asked by their ophthalmologists to change their eyeglasses frame within the last 12 months due to increase or decrease of grade. If your eye grade changed within the period, inform your doctor about this and for sure, your laser eye surgery would be rescheduled.
• LASIK is also not conducted among individuals who have not reached the age of 20. Even those with parental consent would not be conducted upon because the eye doesn’t stop growing until the age of 20. Those who are below 20 still have the possibility of having their eye corrected naturally so surgical procedure is highly discouraged.
• Individuals who have Type I and Type II diabetes are usually poor candidates for laser eye surgery. Their hormones fluctuate in frequent manner and this affects the quality of their eyesight.
• Lactating and pregnant women are also asked to reschedule the treatment to a later time.